Saturday 20 April 2013

Born to Run


I just finished reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. What a fabulous read –beautiful, lyrical writing.  The characters are absolutely amazing and rich – Caballo Blanco, Coach Vigil, Manuel Luna, the Tarahumara, Scott Jurek and Emil Zatopek. Exploration of the origins of humans or is it the origins of running …. what’s the difference.  Understanding ancient peoples’ Tarahumara, Kalahari Bushmen and the ancient ways of being and running. Discovering all of us humans are natural born runners. Discovering that great humans are great runners and the great runners are great humans.
An intriguing story that is so amazing and as I read I ask myself, are these people real? I google. Yes, they are all real, so real! I am speechless and spend time learning more about the characters via the internet.  Christopher is just as amazing in this story as the rest of the characters he writes about.
 I understand some things about my own movement now.  I love being barefoot and feel affirmed.  I know the feeling when you run and want to stop and then say to yourself, time to dig deep and keep going and it becomes wonderful.  I am not a runner, but I have been there and now I want to go there all the time.
Read this book if you love running and if you don’t. It will change your perspective on running guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment