Thursday 3 May 2012

Goodbye Himoe


I am so glad we had such a great birthday celebration with you just a month ago. We had a wonderful evening and I even got into a little trouble with Nadia for being out so late. It was worth it. The search for coffee and the one crepe Natalie made us all share J.  Me belly-dancing, I hope you enjoyed that one, lol.  I trust this past year showed you just how much we love you and care.  We enjoyed a nice cosy evening at Natalie’s and you told Naomi about how – according to you, we became friends – Nat and I agree, we thought we were already friends!!!  I recall how you told the story of Sein and Graham’s passing and Mark’s passing and my friend (whom I still can’t remember) that came to the funeral because they could not believe I was friends with the son and the father.  You loved talking about your relationship to all of us, I could see how important it is to you and I was thankful, because its also important to me.


Himoe, you passed away on my birthday – if the shoe was on the other foot you would say the F-word J - I will say I am sorry you were too sick to come to celebrate it with us, you may as well have given that the worst thing that could have happened did anyway.  It’s okay though because we had so much fun together recently, Easter at Annie and Ismail’s, not to mention the sleep-inducing Cabaret movie and oops did I say that out loud? Your presence at Layla’s graduation in our home and of course, the many music clubs and your epistles.  I looked for an epistle from you this morning, ready to laugh, of course there was not one and won’t be anymore. I will have to reread the others. 
 

Himoe, we will now meet the Martians. I am looking forward. Seriously, life will not be the same with out you, my blind friend, who saw deeper into hearts than many.  My life is not the same because of you as a friend, an older man, an example that men can be different loving, sensitive, responsible and caring.  You helped and supported me in my darkest days not judging or directing instead, accepting, understanding and doing what you can. Introducing me to Maya Angelou - one of your great loves – and encouraging new feminist perspectives in my brain.  I know I should have told you that last point while you were here, it would’ve thrilled you to hear it.  Music, life, film and art you were always interested to discover someone / something new and always generously sharing a new love.  Thank you for sharing so much of yourself so freely with me and my whole family incorporating the McAskills. 

You loved your family so much especially all the grandchildren, I know they will all miss you. I will remember you with a laugh and a song always.


A generous, kind and joyful heart

Stimulated by music and art

Filled with love for all around

Always around to provide the sound

You came and touched so many lives

Big and small, we were all your size

Good food and drink you knew how to appreciate

My poetry read you did ingratiate

You challenged us to be more than we are

Believing we are all stars

Himoe, a dear dad, friend and brother

You touched our lives like no other

A peculiar dynamic of relationships

And you marvelled at this odd friendship

Of two families, merged into one

Of the ties that bind us till we are done

You leave behind a world richer for laugh, knowledge and sharing

A world that has learnt from your example of caring


1 comment: